engAGED Social Isolation Virtual Summit
Thursday, September 24
2:00 - 4:30 p.m. EDT
The engAGED Social Isolation Virtual Summit was held on September 24, 2020. The recording is available below. Please visit engAGED: The National Resource Center for Engaging Older Adults for more information.
The engAGED Social Isolation Virtual Summit will broadcast live from this page on September 24 at 2:00 p.m. ET. Register below!
Join engAGED: The National Resource Center for Engaging Older Adults for an interactive discussion and dialogue with Aging Network leaders on social isolation and engagement among older adults.
Attendees will learn about the latest research on social isolation and loneliness, as well as innovative social engagement best practices that respond to current challenges. National leaders and local experts will highlight COVID-19 adaptations and innovations that address social isolation in diverse communities and how technology is helping to foster engagement during
COVID-19. The Summit will also offer an opportunity for participants to provide input and share resources.
The engAGED Social Isolation Summit is open to the public and does not require paid registration for the n4a Virtual Conference and Tradeshow. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
engAGED: The National Resource Center for Engaging Older Adults is a national effort to increase social engagement among older adults through a variety of activities. Administered by the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging (n4a) and funded by the U.S. Administration for Community Living, engAGED identifies and disseminates information about emerging trends, resources and replication strategies that the Aging Network can customize for use in their communities. Project partners are Generations United, National Center for Osher Lifelong Learning Institutes and Older Adults Technology Services (OATS).
2:00 – 2:15 pm ET | Welcome and Purpose Setting
Join engAGED as we kickoff our Social Isolation Summit with opening remarks from Sandy Markwood, CEO of the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging, and Greg Link, Director of the Office of Supportive and Caregiver Services at the Administration for Community Living.
- Sandy Markwood, CEO, National Association of Area Agencies on Aging, Washington, DC
- Greg Link, Director, Office of Supportive and Caregiver Services, Administration on Aging, U.S. Administration for Community Living, Washington, DC
2:15 – 2:35 pm ET | Latest Research on Social Isolation and Loneliness
As an expert on the research base on social isolation and loneliness, Dr. Holt-Lunstad will share the latest findings on social isolation and loneliness to provide further framing and context.
- Dr. Julianne Holt-Lunstad, Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
2:35 – 3:30 pm ET | COVID-Adaptations to Address Social Isolation
Lean into this panel discussion moderated by Northeast Iowa Area Agency on Aging Director Donna Harvey as she speaks with a series of Aging Network stakeholders on their lessons learned during the uncertain times of the COVID-19 pandemic. What does it take to make a quick pivot in your approach to social programming?
- Moderator: Donna Harvey, CEO, Northeast Iowa Area Agency on Aging, Waterloo, IA
- Sue Lachenmayr, State Program Coordinator, Maryland Living Well Center of Excellence – A Division of MAC, Inc. AAA, Easton, MD
- Elizabeth Pawloski, National Director–Tutoring Partnerships and Expansion, OASIS Institute, St. Louis, MO
- Jennifer Tripken, Associate Director, Center for Healthy Aging, National Council on Aging (NCOA), Arlington, VA
- Lauren Pongan, National Director, Diverse Elders Coalition, Oakland, CA
3:30 – 4:20 pm ET | How Technology is Fostering Engagement During Coronavirus
Speakers will highlight ways that organizations can tap into technology to support the engagement needs of older adults.
- Moderator: Lori Gerhard, Director, Office of Interagency Innovation, U.S. Administration for Community Living, Washington, DC
- Alex Glazebrook, Director of Operations, Older Adults Technology Services, Brooklyn, NY
- Carolyn P. Phillips, Director of Services & Learning and Director & Principal Investigator of Tools for Life and the National Pass It On Center, Center for Inclusive Design and Innovation (CIDI), Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA
4:20 – 4:30 pm ET | Closing Commentary
Stay connected and up to date with engAGED!
Do you want up-to-the-minute updates on engAGED’s newly released resources, blog posts and webinars? Sign up for our monthly newsletter and keep in touch through social media. Subscribe today and find us on Twitter and Facebook!